Meetup at Cloudera

Abraham Fine
Hello ZooKeeper Community-

It has been a while since our last meetup and it would be great to bring
everyone together again. Cloudera would be able to host a meetup at our
headquarters in Palo Alto, CA next week (I'm thinking 10/19).

I was hoping to use the mailing lists to gauge interest. Please reply if
you think you would be able to attend or would prefer a different date.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks,
Abe

Re: Meetup at Cloudera

Jordan Zimmerman-3
As usual I'd like to attend remotely if that's possible. I'm in Europe until the 25th though but if it's at the right time I can present on some nice new features in Curator or possibly the work I've been doing for Persistent Watches in ZooKeeper itself.

-Jordan

> On Oct 11, 2017, at 1:06 AM, Abraham Fine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello ZooKeeper Community-
>
> It has been a while since our last meetup and it would be great to bring
> everyone together again. Cloudera would be able to host a meetup at our
> headquarters in Palo Alto, CA next week (I'm thinking 10/19).
>
> I was hoping to use the mailing lists to gauge interest. Please reply if
> you think you would be able to attend or would prefer a different date.
>
> Looking forward to hearing from everyone.
>
> Thanks,
> Abe

Re: Meetup at Cloudera

Abraham Fine
To anyone that wants to dial in remotely, please join this Google
Hangouts Meet: https://meet.google.com/edn-udjn-bkv

I will do my best to record the meetup.

Thanks,
Abe

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017, at 02:20, Jordan Zimmerman wrote:

> It would be awesome if it can be recorded for those of us who can't
> attend.
>
> -Jordan
>
> > On Oct 18, 2017, at 7:21 PM, Patrick Hunt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > That link didn't work for me - perhaps because of the "preview" portion of
> > the URL?
> >
> > I ended up using:
> > https://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-Cloudera-User-Group/events/244294554/
> >
> > Patrick
> >

> > On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Abraham Fine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, there is still going to be a meetup. Here is the meetup page,
> >> please sign up here:
> >> https://www.meetup.com/preview/Bay-Area-Cloudera-
> >> User-Group/events/244294554
> >>
> >> There will be food and beer!

> >> it's the week after, though, I can do it.

> >> depends

> >> me.

> >> Europe
> >> on some
> >> for

> >> to bring
> >> at our

> >> reply if
> >> date.

Re: Meetup at Cloudera

Abraham Fine
Thank you to everyone that attended the meetup yesterday evening
(remotely and in-person).

I have attached the recording of the meetup to this email in addition to
a small summary of some of the larger topics discussed bellow.

* Flaky Tests: We briefly discussed the state of our test infra and the
work being done to get the tests to run better under Java 9, fix flaky
tests, and acknowledge that the fact that we are running our tests in
parallel on <= 3.5 which may be responsible for many of the precommit
failures we are seeing.

* Security: Benjamin Reed shared that Facebook is working on SSL. I also
have an SSL patch waiting for review here:
https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/184 In addition, I think it is
fair to say we are all waiting for the day when we could deprecate NIO
in ZooKeeper.

* Facebook Presentation: Ben Reed gave a great presentation on the state
of ZooKeeper inside Facebook (specifically as it relates to their
ensembles running on top of the code currently in trunk). I'll leave it
to Ben to share additional details on the mailing list.

* Community: We discussed ways in which we thought we could make the
community more engaging and facilitate growth. One way we considered was
to move to a primarily chat based system rather than relying entirely on
emails. I'll be sending out an email with some suggestions on this
matter soon. Patrick Hunt also raised some issues we are currently
facing with our git/github infrastructure. For example, our commiters do
not have the permissions necessary to close pull requests. A proposed
solution was to use Apache Gitbox: https://gitbox.apache.org

Here is the recording:
https://cloudera.box.com/s/j4efdjff8nbrm8lcotx8xrm6z6aosyn7

Thanks,
Abe

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017, at 16:38, Abraham Fine wrote:

> To anyone that wants to dial in remotely, please join this Google
> Hangouts Meet: https://meet.google.com/edn-udjn-bkv
>
> I will do my best to record the meetup.
>
> Thanks,
> Abe
>
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017, at 02:20, Jordan Zimmerman wrote:
> > It would be awesome if it can be recorded for those of us who can't
> > attend.
> >
> > -Jordan
> >
> > > On Oct 18, 2017, at 7:21 PM, Patrick Hunt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > That link didn't work for me - perhaps because of the "preview" portion of
> > > the URL?
> > >
> > > I ended up using:
> > > https://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-Cloudera-User-Group/events/244294554/
> > >
> > > Patrick

Re: Meetup at Cloudera

Jordan Zimmerman-3
>  One way we considered was
> to move to a primarily chat based system rather than relying entirely on
> emails.

What about Gitter? It was too easy so I created this:

        https://gitter.im/apache/apache-zookeeper <https://gitter.im/apache/apache-zookeeper>

Why not use this?

-Jordan