JMX Documentation?

Garth Patil-3
Hi,
I'm upgrading to 3.0 from a previous version, and I just noticed the
JMX MBean code in the tree. Is there documentation for what is exposed
and some examples of how to use the MBeans? I couldn't find anything
on the site or in the mailing list archive. Also, has anyone used them
with something other than the platform MBean server (e.g. JBoss)?
Cheers,
Garth

Re: JMX Documentation?

Mahadev Konar
Hi Garth,
 Sorry for the delayed response.

Their is an open jira for doucmentation on jmx
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-177.

We will be adding the docs soon.

For now:
The way you can get jmx support is by running

ManagedQuorumPeerMain rather than QuorumPeerMain

Here is an example commandline:

java   -classpath
zookeeper/conf:zookeeper/log4j-1.2.15.jar:zookeeper/zookeeper.jar
org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.ManagedQuorumPeerMain server1/zoo.cfg

mahadev

On 11/16/08 2:12 PM, "Garth Patil" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm upgrading to 3.0 from a previous version, and I just noticed the
> JMX MBean code in the tree. Is there documentation for what is exposed
> and some examples of how to use the MBeans? I couldn't find anything
> on the site or in the mailing list archive. Also, has anyone used them
> with something other than the platform MBean server (e.g. JBoss)?
> Cheers,
> Garth

Re: JMX Documentation?

Patrick Hunt
I found that I needed to run the server with

-J-Djava.rmi.server.hostname=localhost

in order to connect a local jconsole instance, this was on my ubuntu
machine. YMMV.

Patrick

Mahadev Konar wrote:

> Hi Garth,
>  Sorry for the delayed response.
>
> Their is an open jira for doucmentation on jmx
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-177.
>
> We will be adding the docs soon.
>
> For now:
> The way you can get jmx support is by running
>
> ManagedQuorumPeerMain rather than QuorumPeerMain
>
> Here is an example commandline:
>
> java   -classpath
> zookeeper/conf:zookeeper/log4j-1.2.15.jar:zookeeper/zookeeper.jar
> org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.ManagedQuorumPeerMain server1/zoo.cfg
>

> mahadev
>

> On 11/16/08 2:12 PM, "Garth Patil" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm upgrading to 3.0 from a previous version, and I just noticed the
>> JMX MBean code in the tree. Is there documentation for what is exposed
>> and some examples of how to use the MBeans? I couldn't find anything
>> on the site or in the mailing list archive. Also, has anyone used them
>> with something other than the platform MBean server (e.g. JBoss)?
>> Cheers,
>> Garth

Re: JMX Documentation?

Mahadev Konar
Hmm... On my linux machine it worked fine without the option...

mahadev