Is it possible to use the server address as the host address?

Is it possible to use the server address as the host address?

Shafique Jamal
Hello,

I have documented my issue here:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/47956320/2251463

When I use the ZooKeeper client to connect to a server, it takes the server
address from the "-server" command line argument, looks up the IP address,
and then tried to find the host name based on that IP address.

If you're using an Amazon EC2 instance, then instead of getting something
like mysookeeperhost.mydomain.com for the host name, instead something like
ec2-35-169-37-216.compute-1.amazonaws.com will be returned.

Is there an option to use the server address from the command line as the
host name?

Re: Is it possible to use the server address as the host address?

Abraham Fine
Hello Shafique-

The issue has been fixed in 3.5 and there are some issues that need to be taken into account regarding backwards compatibility if we are to fix this on the 3.4 line.

Thanks,
Abe

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017, at 05:19, Shafique Jamal wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have documented my issue here:
> https://stackoverflow.com/a/47956320/2251463
>
> When I use the ZooKeeper client to connect to a server, it takes the server
> address from the "-server" command line argument, looks up the IP address,
> and then tried to find the host name based on that IP address.
>
> If you're using an Amazon EC2 instance, then instead of getting something
> like mysookeeperhost.mydomain.com for the host name, instead something like
> ec2-35-169-37-216.compute-1.amazonaws.com will be returned.
>
> Is there an option to use the server address from the command line as the
> host name?
>
> Thanks,

Re: Is it possible to use the server address as the host address?

Shafique Jamal
Thanks Abe. In case it is helpful for some: those using AWS EC2 VM
instances with an Elastic IP address (i.e. a static IP address) can ask
Amazon to resolve a reverse DNS lookup on the Elastic IP address to one DNS
address that they have set to resolve to that IP address. They can do so by
filling out a form available at this link:

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/reverse-dns-for-ec2s-elastic-ip-addresses/

The actual form is available here:

https://aws-portal.amazon.com/gp/aws/html-forms-controller/contactus/ec2-email-limit-rdns-request

Google Cloud has something similar - you can request a PTR record. With
Google Cloud you get the reverse DNS done quicker - AWS could take several
hours or a day to get it done. This link has more information:

https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/instances/create-ptr-record

This can solve the issue of using SASL with ZooKeeper with server names.

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 7:00 PM, Abraham Fine <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Shafique-
>
> I believe this discussion on the mailing list from a month ago goes over
> the same issue: https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-user/
> 201711.mbox/%3cCABinuxd3bNjYW2p=6t4ztmGzk7U5yiDu7otZv05FKcyK1c
> [hidden email]%3e
>
> The issue has been fixed in 3.5 and there are some issues that need to be
> taken into account regarding backwards compatibility if we are to fix this
> on the 3.4 line.
>
> Thanks,
> Abe
>
> On Tue, Dec 26, 2017, at 05:19, Shafique Jamal wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have documented my issue here:
> > https://stackoverflow.com/a/47956320/2251463
> >
> > When I use the ZooKeeper client to connect to a server, it takes the
> server
> > address from the "-server" command line argument, looks up the IP
> address,
> > and then tried to find the host name based on that IP address.
> >
> > If you're using an Amazon EC2 instance, then instead of getting something
> > like mysookeeperhost.mydomain.com for the host name, instead something
> like
> > ec2-35-169-37-216.compute-1.amazonaws.com will be returned.
> >
> > Is there an option to use the server address from the command line as the
> > host name?
> >
> > Thanks,

Re: Is it possible to use the server address as the host address?

Martin Gainty
MG>what abe has suggested is a vendor-specific solution with a hefty pricetag

MG>if you're closer to "low-budget solution" (AKA free) look at implementing BIND:
https://www.isc.org/downloads/bind/

BIND Open Source DNS Server | Internet Systems Consortium<https://www.isc.org/downloads/bind/>
www.isc.org
BIND is open source software that enables you to publish your Domain Name System (DNS) information on the Internet, and to resolve DNS queries for your users.

https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-01392/77/Windows-zip-files-for-BIND-9.html

MG>if your willing to go with a Microsoft specific solution then Microsoft DNS Server is your solution (again vendor specific)
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730921(v=ws.11).aspx
DNS - technet.microsoft.com<https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730921(v=ws.11).aspx>
technet.microsoft.com
Domain Name System (DNS) is the name resolution protocol for TCP/IP networks, such as the Internet. A DNS server hosts the information that enables client computers ...

________________________________
Thanks Abe. In case it is helpful for some: those using AWS EC2 VM
instances with an Elastic IP address (i.e. a static IP address) can ask
Amazon to resolve a reverse DNS lookup on the Elastic IP address to one DNS
address that they have set to resolve to that IP address. They can do so by
filling out a form available at this link:

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/reverse-dns-for-ec2s-elastic-ip-addresses/
[https://d2908q01vomqb2.cloudfront.net/356a192b7913b04c54574d18c28d46e6395428ab/2017/06/23/6288c174-a286-4b65-9b3b-6199bfdaa1e0.png]<https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/reverse-dns-for-ec2s-elastic-ip-addresses/>

Configurable Reverse DNS for Amazon EC2’s Elastic IP ...<https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/reverse-dns-for-ec2s-elastic-ip-addresses/>
aws.amazon.com
Get Started Start developing on Amazon Web Services using one of our pre-built sample apps.

The actual form is available here:

https://aws-portal.amazon.com/gp/aws/html-forms-controller/contactus/ec2-email-limit-rdns-request
[https://d1.awsstatic.com/Digital%20Marketing/House/signin/en_US/Prospect_image.96f0d724be07d2e2f486f0f31ceb421b666970d4.jpg]<https://aws-portal.amazon.com/gp/aws/html-forms-controller/contactus/ec2-email-limit-rdns-request>

Amazon Web Services Sign-In<https://aws-portal.amazon.com/gp/aws/html-forms-controller/contactus/ec2-email-limit-rdns-request>
aws-portal.amazon.com
Amazon Web Services uses information from your Amazon.com account to identify you and allow access to Amazon Web Services. Your use of this site is governed by our ...

Google Cloud has something similar - you can request a PTR record. With
Google Cloud you get the reverse DNS done quicker - AWS could take several
hours or a day to get it done. This link has more information:

https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/instances/create-ptr-record
Creating a PTR Record for a VM Instance | Compute Engine ...<https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/instances/create-ptr-record>
cloud.google.com
This is a Beta release of PTR support for Google Compute Engine. This feature is not covered by any SLA or deprecation policy and may be subject to ...

This can solve the issue of using SASL with ZooKeeper with server names.

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 7:00 PM, Abraham Fine <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Shafique-
>
> I believe this discussion on the mailing list from a month ago goes over
> the same issue: https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-user/
> 201711.mbox/%3cCABinuxd3bNjYW2p=6t4ztmGzk7U5yiDu7otZv05FKcyK1c
> [hidden email]%3e
>
> The issue has been fixed in 3.5 and there are some issues that need to be
> taken into account regarding backwards compatibility if we are to fix this
> on the 3.4 line.
>
> Thanks,
> Abe
>
> On Tue, Dec 26, 2017, at 05:19, Shafique Jamal wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have documented my issue here:
> > https://stackoverflow.com/a/47956320/2251463
[https://cdn.sstatic.net/Sites/stackoverflow/img/apple-touch-icon@...?v=73d79a89bded]<https://stackoverflow.com/a/47956320/2251463>